Reduce / Reuse / Recycle
eLightful is committed to a sustainable future and to improving the social, economic and environmental well being of the our community and neighbourhoods in which we live and do business. To that end we have undertaken the following goals and Initiatives:
- Promote and recommend energy efficient and environmentally friendly lighting products
- Highlight Energy Star® qualified products and have applied (pending) to formally participate in the initiative.
- Minimize wasteful over-packaging (no Styrofoam peanuts, etc)
- Local deliveries are normally made on foot or bicycle (distances often less that 2KM)
- When required, we use low impact automobiles (generally rented by the hour)
Artificial Lighting represents a critical component of global energy use. It consumes a significant portion of the world's electrical energy. Between 20 to 50 percent of energy used is due to lighting.
According to the UN Environment Programme/Global Environment Facility - by simply replacing all incandescent lamps in the world with more energy efficient compact fluorescent lamps - 409 TWh per year would be saved. That is approximately 2.5% of global electricity consumption and equivalent to the total yearly electricity consumption of the United Kingdom and Denmark combined.